Try homemade breakfast bars as an alternative to store bought! Cheaper, healthy and can be adjusted to your preferences. Include the kids in this simple preparation and they will be more likely to eat them. Make ahead for a quick, out-the-door breakfast.
Chewy Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups milk (cow, almond, soy)
- 3 tablespoon honey or real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (can use almond butter, too)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare an 8×8 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir dry ingredients together (oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt).
- In a separate bowl, stir moist ingredients together (milk, honey, peanut butter, egg, vanilla, and banana).
- Mix moist and dry ingredients together and stir to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Fold in nuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean.
Other add-ins to try: blueberries, cranberries, almonds, chocolate chips, or raisins.
Nutrition per serving: 230 Calories, 6.6g Fat, 37g Carbohydrates, 3.5g Fiber, 7.7g Protein.
Like it? Share it!