An alternative to cake, quick breads are simple to make and can be healthy depending on the ingredients you use.
Bananas are sweet when ripe and add potassium and fiber, natural sweeteners and the fat can be reduced when using them. Whole wheat flour and ground flaxseeds add fiber which helps with our digestion and keeps us full longer. We should be getting at least 25-30g/day!
You can find ground flaxseeds or “flaxseed meal” at most supermarkets or buy whole flaxseeds and grind them in your coffee grinder.
Healthy and Delicious Banana Bread
- 5 tablespoons of coconut oil or butter
- ½ cup real maple syrup or honey
- 4 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cup whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup ground flaxseeds
- Optional: ½ cup mix-ins (ie, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, chocolate chips, raisins, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, melt coconut oil.
- Add maple syrup, mashed bananas and eggs, mix well to combine.
- Add baking soda, cinnamon, salt, vanilla and mix well to combine.
- Slowly add in flour (and ground flaxseeds), mix until just moistened. Fold in mix-ins if using.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or slightly browned on the edges.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then carefully remove from pan.
Nutrition per serving: 269 Calories,9g Fat,44g Carbohydrates,3g Fiber,16g Sugar, 4.5g Protein
Like it? Share it!