Thu Oct 3rd, 2013
Robert L. Ortiz
The Southern Ute Drum
Firstly, I would like to thank all the people who have supported and believed in what I do in bringing the Southern Ute Tribal Youth concert to the Tribal Fair. This year it has been included as one of the events and will be in future tribal fairs.
The following is a list of people who were instrumental in making the youth concert a reality this year and for years to come.
- Southern Ute Tribal Jimmy R. Newton Jr. and the Southern Ute Tribal Council and executive officers
- Culture Department Director Elise Redd, Special Events Coordinator Tara Vigil and staff
- Sky Ute Fairgrounds staff Kendra Alexander, JD and Steve
- Sky Ute Casino Resort staff Charlie Flagg, Dustin Weaver, Tracy Leppert, Jeff Lyman, and maintenance crew
- The concert crew: Ignacio Middle/High School director of music Katrina Hedrick and the music program students: Anastasia, Ryahna, Sam, Josiah, Raylene, Sergio, Briana, Lainey, Shayna, Shondeena, Grace, Alex, Antonia, Merri, Tucker, David, David, and of course Fabian Martinez
- The Southern Ute Indian Montessori Academy fine arts teacher Gabe Tate and students
- SUPD, Los Pinos Fire Department, Shur-Valu, Wal-Mart and Home Depot
- Cooks Katrina Richards and Buffy Joseph and concessionaires Kathleen, Malcolm and Janine Cajero
- Sound provided by Scott DeForest of Creative Sound Solutions
- Stage and lights provided by Durango Party Rental
- Printing by Basin Printing & Imaging
- Promotional help: Sheila and Mike and the entire staff of KSUT Tribal Radio 91.3 FM
- And, most importantly, the bands that traveled to Ignacio to perform during the concert: Until Chaos of Albuquerque, N.M.; Obsolete of Kayenta, Ariz.; Shadow Remain of Thoreau, N.M; Under Exile of Shiprock, N.M.; Miracle Dolls of Chino, Calif.; Morbid Justice of Durango; Lights On For Safety of Shiprock, N.M; and The Council of Ignacio.
And for the Jalapeno eating and chili contests:
- Powwow drummers jalapeno-eating contest crew: Aislinn, Jade, Alisianna, Lella, Karley, Shyanne, Shoshone, and Avionn and the Southern Ute Powwow Committee
- Lastly long-time supporters, helpers, friends and family, Blenda, Melinda, Velma, Sarah, Shelly, Seth and Kenneth
If I missed anyone, I did not do so intentionally. So many people have helped in one way or another. Support comes from different people and sources. Love is what keeps us strong and patience makes what we do a reality.
Thank you again to all that made this year’s “Native REZ-olution 5” an awesome show!
Robert L. Ortiz
Like it? Share it!