Pumpkin Chicken Chili
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken breast, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 orange or red pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 15oz can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (or more according to taste preference)
- 4oz green chili, chopped (fresh or canned)
- 1-2 cups water (or chicken broth)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Add diced raw chicken and sauté until no longer pink, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining oil and diced onion, sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add diced red pepper, chili powder, cumin and oregano, sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring for a few minutes on medium-high heat to let flavors mix.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more liquid (water or broth) as needed for moisture. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Serve with your favorite toppings such as cilantro, plain Greek yogurt, or chives.
For crockpot, follow steps 1-2, then place all ingredients in crockpot, cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Remove bay leaf and serve with your favorite toppings.
For instant pot, place all ingredients starting with oil followed by raw chicken on the bottom and the rest of the ingredients on top. Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Release naturally. Remove chicken, shred with a fork, and return to pot, stirring to mix all ingredients. Remove bay leaf and serve with your favorite toppings.
Like it? Share it!