Fri Jun 4th, 2021
Tags: Carrot, Diced Tomatoes, Directions, Elbow Maacaroni, Fresh Spinach, Garlic, Ghoulash Makeover, Ground Turkey, Healthy Recipes, Ingredients, Olive Oil, Onion, Oregano, Pepper, Rotini, Salt, Zucchini
Try this alternative comfort food with fresh ingredients fit for the summer table.
Experiment with your favorite fresh veggies, herbs and spices.
Lisa B. Smith, RDN is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist with the Southern Ute Shining Mountain Health and Wellness.
- 8 oz whole wheat elbow macaroni or rotini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-pound lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 28oz can no added salt diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Garnish: fresh chopped green onions, parsley and/or shredded cheese
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to directions for “al dente” (drain immediately when done).
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium heat, cook turkey until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Add onions and carrots and cook for an additional 8 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Add zucchini and spinach, stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, oregano, salt, pepper and pasta, stir to combine. Cook on medium-low for an additional 8 minutes.
- Serve garnished with green onion, parsley and/or shredded cheese.
Nutrition per serving: 226 Calories; 5.3g Fat; 28.8g Carbohydrates; 3.1g Fiber, 16.7g protein
Like it? Share it!