If you have any teenagers, they are likely watching TikToc videos. My daughter will sometimes make a dish she found posted by an “influencer.” Don’t ask me what that is. But the latest dish she found is so delicious that I had to share.
One thing though, I always tweak recipes to fit my preferences or make them healthier. I used crumbled feta to catch all the herbs and spices in the nooks and crannies. Feta is a lower fat cheese and although it can be a bit tangy, once cooked in this dish it is absolutely divine!
So, giving credit to the TikToc chef, here is my updated version.
Lisa B. Smith, RDN is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist with the Southern Ute Shining Mountain Health and Wellness.
Baked Feta and Tomato Pasta
- 10-12oz grape tomatoes
- 8oz Feta Cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- 3-4 peeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 T Dried Basil (or more if using fresh chopped)
- 2 T Dried Parsley (or more if using fresh chopped)
- 1 T Garlic powder
- 1 T Onion powder
- 16 oz. favorite whole grain pasta or even over zoodles!
- Optional ingredients: sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, red onion
- It’s so simple. This is what you will do.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place crumbles in the center of an 8×11” baking dish.
- Place tomatoes, olives and fresh garlic all around the crumble.
- Pour olive oil over everything. Stir tomato mixture just a bit to disperse.
- Sprinkle generous amounts of the basil, parsley, garlic powder and onion powder over the feta and the tomato mixture. Sprinkle enough so you don’t see much of the white of the feta. It will be at least 2 tablespoons each of the dried herbs.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until tomatoes are no longer plump.
- While feta/tomatoes are baking, cook your pasta.
- Remove from heat and stir feta and tomato mixture to combine. This will create a moist yet somewhat chunky sauce.
- Mix with pasta, cooked chicken breast, spiralized zucchini or use your imagination!
Like it? Share it!