Fri Dec 20th, 2019
Lisa Smith RDN | Shining Mountain Health & Wellness
Tags: Holiday squash turkey chili, Lisa Smith RDN, Shining Mountain Health andWellness
Try this hearty and delicious chili recipe. The butternut squash adds texture, flavor and extra nutrition. Use your leftover holiday turkey or try ground turkey. You can get creative and add extra veggies such as bell peppers and jalapenos. Try substituting the turkey with ground bison or elk, too! Whatever you do, it will come out delicious. Enjoy!
- 3 Teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Pound ground turkey or shredded turkey leftovers
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 Cup chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 Teaspoons coriander (optional)
- 1 Small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
- 4 Ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 Cup green chilies, chopped
- (You can use 2 cans RO-TEL to replace plum tomatoes and green chilies)
- 2 14 oz. can of low sodium black beans, drained
- 3 Cups water or low sodium chicken broth (adding more as needed for desired consistency)
- 3 Tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large skillet, add turkey and cook until done over medium-high heat, 5-8 minutes. Stir often to break up chunks. If using precooked shredded turkey, skip this step and begin by cooking onions and garlic, adding turkey in step 3.
- Push meat to sides of pan, turn down heat to medium, add 1 teaspoon oil, cook onions and garlic until tender about 3-5 minutes, stir onions and meat together.
- Mix in chili powder, cumin and coriander.
- Add squash, beans and water/broth, stir all ingredients together.
- Simmer mixture uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Add chia seeds, salt and pepper (optional).
- Cook turkey, onions and garlic as directed in step 1 and 2 above.
- Place in crockpot and add remaining ingredients. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
Serve topped with fresh cilantro, plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese as desired.
Calories 272; Fat 8g; Total Carbohydrates 42g; Dietary Fiber 14g; Protein 15g; Sodium 155 mg – Serves 8-10.
Like it? Share it!