Nominations are now being accepted for the annual Elbert J. Floyd Award. Eligibility requirements for recipients of the Elbert J. Floyd Award are:
- A member of the Southern Ute Indian Tribe
- A student of any age, formally enrolled in an education program, at any level, or someone planning immediate enrollment in such a program
- Interested in continuing his or her education
- Interested in serving the Tribe and the community
- Approved by the Department of Education
An eligible recipient need not be living on the Southern Ute Indian Reservation at time of the nomination and need be available to return to the Tribe to receive the award in person.
Any teacher, Tribal member or other interested person may submit the name of an eligible recipient for the Elbert J. Floyd Award to the Department of Education of the Southern Ute Indian Tribe. Nomination must be submitted in writing to Ellen S. Baker at the Southern Ute Education Department by 5 p.m. on Friday, May 26 and shall state the basis for the nomination.
For information call Ellen at 970-563-0235, ext. 2793. The selection of the recipient will be made by a committee of two members consisting of the Chairman of the Southern Ute Indian Tribe and Vice-Chairman of the Southern Ute Indian Tribe.
This annual award is in memory of Elbert J. Floyd and is presented by Mr. Floyd’s children and grandchildren to a deserving Southern Ute Indian student.