My name is Shayne Morning Star White Thunder. My Ute name is Winter Rose, my grandmother Mikki gave me that name because I was born in winter and the rose signifies our people. I am the current 2019-2020 Little Miss Southern Ute. I am six years old and I attend school at the Southern Ute Indian Montessori Academy. My mother is Heather White Thunder and my father is Seth Roubideaux. My paternal grandmother is Mikki Naranjo and my great-grandparents are the late Eugene Naranjo and Dixie Naranjo. My maternal grandparents are Bobbie White Thunder from El Reno, Okla. and the late Ross Denny. I come from the Moache-Capote bands and I’m a descendent of Buckskin Charlie.
I am honored to be an ambassador for the Southern Ute Indian Tribe, I am learning every day.
The following are events that I have attended so far during my tenure:
- I was honored to be crowned Little Miss Southern Ute and attended the Southern Ute Tribal Fair. I also rode in the Tribal Fair parade.
- I attended the Southern Ute Education Department Back to School BBQ.
- Along with other Royalty, I introduced myself and met with Southern Ute Tribal Council members.
- I traveled and participated the He Sapa Wacipi-Black Hills Powwow.
- I attended and participated in the Masquerade Powwow held at the Multi-Purpose building.
- I traveled and attended a benefit dance for the Sand Creek runners in Hammon, Okla.
- I attended the N7 Event and basketball games hosted by FLC.
- I participated and helped sponsor the Royalty Walk for the community. Greeted and introduced myself at the Southern Ute Annual Thanksgiving Dinner to tribal members and guests.
- I attended and participated at the Durango High School Powwow.
- I danced and introduced myself to the students of Ignacio School District for Native American Heritage Month.
- I traveled to Ft. Duchesne and participated in the Northern Ute Thanksgiving Powwow.
- Traveled and participated in the Choctaw Powwow in Durant, Okla.
- Lastly, I attended our Southern Ute Christmas dinner and shook hands with members of all three Ute Tribes and guests. For the Christmas Program I did the Lord’s Prayer in sign language with Miss Southern Ute and Junior Miss Southern Ute. I also sang Ute songs with my classmates.
I have enjoyed attending different events and traveling to represent the Southern Ute Indian Tribe and meeting new people. I look forward to attending upcoming events and learning new things along the way.
Shayne Morning Star White Thunder
Little Miss Southern Ute
Like it? Share it!